ESR project: Development of Glyco-Nanoparticle Libraries Based on Gold/Polymer Hybrids
Supervisor: Prof Matthew I. Gibson
Institution: University of Warwick, UK
Country of origin: Cyprus
NanoCarb Research: Panagiotis work involves the design and synthesis of well-defined polymers via RAFT-mediated polymerization for glycan conjugation. The project goal to produce a library of simple glycopolymer building blocks that will be subsequently grafted into gold nanoparticle surfaces. The overarching aim of this work will be to fine-tune the glycan composition and polymer type and length to evaluate the nanoparticle behaviour and therapeutic effects.
Publications and other dissemination in NanoCarb:
- Panagiotis G. Georgiou, Alexander N. Baker, Sarah-Jane Richards, Antonio Laezza, Marc Walker and Matthew I. Gibson, Tuning aggregative versus non-aggregative lectin binding with glycosylated nanoparticles by the nature of the polymer ligand, Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 2019, Advance Article. Open Access
- Panagiotis G. Georgiou, Ioanna Kontopoulou, Thomas R. Congdon and Matthew I. Gibson. Ice recrystallisation inhibiting polymer nano-objects via saline-tolerant polymerisation-induced self-assembly. Materials Horizon. 2020, Advance Article. Open Access.
- Alessia Pancaro, Michal Szymonik, Panagiotis G. Georgiou, Alexander N Baker, Marc Walker, Peter Adriaensens, Jelle Hendrix, Matthew I. Gibson, and Inge Neliggen. The Polymeric Glyco-Linker Controls the Signal Outputs for Plasmonic Gold Nanorods Biosensors due to Biocorona Formation. Nanoscale, 2021. Open Access.
- Milica Velimirovic, Alessia Pancaro, Robert Mildner, Panagiotis G. Georgiou, Kristof Tirez, Inge Nelissen, Christoph Johann, Matthew I. Gibson, and Frank Vanhaecke. Characterization of Gold Nanorods Conjugated with Synthetic Glycopolymers Using an Analytical Approach Based on spICP-SFMS and EAF4-MALS. Nanomaterials 2021, 11, no. 10: 2720. Open Access.
- Panagiotis G. Georgiou, Antonio Laezza, Alexander N. Baker, Sarah-Jane Richards, Ioanna Kontopoulou, Marc Walker, Thomas R. Congdon and Matthew I. Gibson. New Nanomaterial Design Principles for Biomimics. Macro group UK’s Young Researchers Meeting (YRM2020), 29-30 June 2020. Poster.
- Alexander N. Baker, Sarah-Jane Richards, Sarojini Pandey, Collette S. Guy, Ashfaq Ahmad Muhammad Hasan, Caroline I. Biggs, Panagiotis G. Georgiou, Alexander J. Zwetsloot, Anne Straube, Simone Dedola, Robert A. Field, Neil R Anderson, Marc Walker, Dimitris Grammatopoulos, and Matthew I. Gibson. Glycan-Based Flow-Through Device for the Detection of SARS-COV-2. ACS Sens. 2021. Open Access.
Scientific Background: Panagiotis holds a B.Sc. degree in Chemistry (with specialisation in Biological Chemistry) from the University of Cyprus. During his final year, he undertook a research project in the area of colloids, investigating the development of protein-based nanoparticles as drug delivery systems. Following his graduation in 2017, he moved to the UK to pursue an M.Sc. (by Research) course in Chemistry at the University of Warwick under the supervision of Prof. Rachel O’Reilly. His work there focused on the preparation of novel nanomaterials by RAFT-mediated polymerization-induced self-assembly (PISA) for bio-related applications.